Sunday, 19 August 2012

The Rest of August 18th

It's been a very busy couple of days. I'll begin with the day that I wrote the post "Morning Stroll" (Aug 18). After breakfast I attended a lecture on the chemistry of light. It was a fascinating lecture full of interesting insights into the way that common light sources produce light. We learned about chemical reactions that produce light and the similarities and differences between fluorescence and phosphorescence. Did you know that sunlight or blue light is a common treatment for jaundice?

The three most interesting points of the lecture were: the use of solar panels to power the electrolysis of water into hydrogen and oxygen (with the goal of using it as fuel, I think this is just dandy), the water sterilizing properties of deuterium-plated glass when exposed to UV light (very handy), and the fact that he got away with taking off his shirt to showcase body paint that glows in the presence of UV light (good for laughing).

What I found particularly interesting was when he turned the lights completely out and then turned on some UV lamps with narrow beams. The room was completely dark, but in a line where he pointed one of the lamps, anything white (paper, teeth, clothing) would glow, so the lamps were essentially lighting up the room but by using the glow of other objects about the room. It was very interesting to see where the UV beam was without actually seeing it.

So, alright, alright, enough with the text. Sightseeing that day was excellent; I took a tour bus around London.


Trafalgar Square is an amazing place.


So amazing that you get two pictures!


Now I know what C.S. Lewis was talking about...


And the tour bus is off!


The Monument to the Great Fire of London of 1666... started in a bakery. Who knew making delicious bread could be so dangerous?


Tower Bridge from afar!


Tower Bridge!


The sky... and Tower Bridge!


When I'm wearing these sunglasses you can refer to me as Gazorbeam.


The tower of London! I love Medieval structures! I could barely believe my eyes when we came upon this castle in the middle of the city. Amazing!


More of the fortress!


Big Ben. Enough said.


Marble Arches!


At this point... I am discovering that it is possible to get a sunburn in London. For science!

Later that evening we had the Student Science Bazaar in which I presented my poster on quantum field theory.


It was a great night and there were many very interesting projects. It was a veritable cornucopia of ideas.

This concludes Aug 18.