Sunday, 26 August 2012

Aug 26: Hampton Court and Windsor Castle

Today we had our second round of all-day trips, this time to Hampton Court and Windsor Castle. Forgive me for my brevity, but I'm exhausted at the moment. First we went to Hampton Court:


The drive-way up to the palace.


Carved stone statues greet you at the gate.


Incredible gold ceiling. I thought this was incredible... I hadn't been to Windsor Castle yet at this point.


This is a picture of a beautiful and intricate tapestry found in one of the champers at Hampton Court. There were many large rooms with walls fully covered with rich tapestries such as this.


Nice.


A large gatehouse with a tower clock that did just about everything except cook you breakfast.


The palace from the rear. I was told by my English bud that those trees are yew trees and probably took a hundred years to grow and be groomed into that shape.


Why have wallpaper when you can have guns to decorate with?


Beautiful gardens surrounded the place. We also got a chance to see the world's largest grapevine, but I didn't take a picture of it for fear that it would take offense and make me a permanent resident.

After our tour of Hampton Court we hopped back on the "coach" and drove to Windsor Castle! I only have pictures of the outside of the castle (which is awesome) because pictures were not allowed inside. The inside of the rooms in this place were opulent without restraint.


Now this place is a fortress!







St. George's Chapel was closed today, unfortunately for us.


We couldn't go to this area, because the castle is still in use by the Queen (she only stays here on weekends, I'm told).


Old gate. Modern guards.

The evening held for us a "Student Debate Night," in which we were lead in a group discussion concerning the topic of food production with a focus on the treatment of farm animals, environmental impact, and food security. We had some really good discussions and many people had some great ideas about how to improve our food production systems. I definitely look at my food a bit differently already. If there are any bio-genetic engineers or hobbyists in the crowd, I have a task for you: nutritious and tasty plants that live on the surface of saltwater. Make them happen.

After that we had a "Songs from Home" show, in which participants in the forum who wanted to perform a traditional (or not so traditional) song from their country of origin could share with us some of their cultural music. So, obviously, the Americans did a number from the Lion King, and the Canadians sang "I'se The B'y". It was fantastic. 

That's all for tonight.